Friday, March 15, 2013

Biographical Statement for The Reno Ramblers Bike Club


My first bicycle related memory is of my father’s bright orange Raleigh leaning against wall in the living room.  Ever since then, I’ve been convinced that orange bikes are faster than their lesser colored brethren, and that the living room is a good place to keep a bike.  Unfortunately, not one of the 7 bikes in my stable is orange, and my living room is too small to house bikes for more than an hour or two without a stubbed toe or a snide comment from my wife. I intend to rectify both of these situations soon.

I spend my mornings and afternoons in the spring, fall, and winter commuting by bike to and from my job teaching Reno’s adolescents about Shakespeare, irony, and the proper use of commas. 

In the summer, I like to ride my bike as far as time and money will allow.  My first extended tour was across the state of Nevada with fellow Reno Rambler, Addison Wilhite.  The state of Nevada has a lot of mountains, and I think I crossed them all, but I loved every minute of it.  I like being out in the world with only that which will fit in my panniers. 

I help to run Dan’s Night, a weekly free bicycle maintenance workshop at the Reno Bike Project; this workshop is named Dan’s Night after fellow Reno Rambler, Dan Ruby, even though I have spent more time as a facilitator than he has.  I am not bitter about this slight, albeit grave injustice.

I ride bikes as often as I can.  When I’m not riding, I like to build and maintain bikes.  When I’m not doing either of those things, I’m either fly fishing or wishing that I was on or near a bike.  I am proud to be a Reno Rambler!

No comments:

Post a Comment