Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Melancholy Dane

I love teaching Hamlet.  I teach it three times per year, and I look forward to every line.  I have had discussions with friends who aren't Shakespeare fans, and I think I understand why they are intimidated or bored by what they perceive as antiquated language and a melodramatic, tired plot, but Hamlet is insidiously compelling, and I have seen more than one of these Shakespeare naysayers change their minds after revisiting the play.  The juxtaposition of limitless human potential and the inevitability of failure has profoundly affected me in distinctly evolving ways as I have grown older, and I think that Shakespeare understood the many levels upon which his play functions.  I never miss an opportunity to see the play, and even a mediocre performance inspires me to consider human mortality, loyalty, and love.  Here we go again.

Knock knock...

Bernardo- Who's there?

No comments:

Post a Comment